Friday, September 07, 2007

Accently challenged !!!

US is a multi-ethnic country, and my university totally seconds this fact. One can find students from all over the world, of course some forming the majority and the rest minority.
As the class began today, the Teaching Assistant said, " While studying Quantum Mechanics, most students sink..."

O Dear GOD ... where did you send me !!! Why on this earth did I take this course?? Help me.... please give me enough strength so that I don't sink !!!

GOD responded pretty early, some 3 seconds later.
The TA had actually said, "............ most students think.... "
This was the severest accentation of a word that I could comprehend till now.
More 'words' followed...
  • Unnergy [Energy]
  • Sun [Some]
  • Planket [Bracket] ( though I am not sure about this one as she might have said Planck's constant really really fast.)
  • Puthential [Potential]
The TA is not an American, by the way. One student asked the question, "Was zero there?"
Nothing wrong with the question except that the question actually asked was, " Why is zero there?"
All this after the now regular
  • Khalkhiulate [calculate]
  • khool [cool]
  • thoo [two]
  • zerow [zero]
  • fo [four]
  • etc.
Everytime I have to tell my phone no. , I try to accentise it the American way to help them comprehend it faster and since my no. contains 22, I have to say it like " .... thoo thoo ...." , which, in India, would directly infer that I hate my no.

And then comes my name. The following are some of the ways I am called here:
  • A ... what ? [answer] ...O .... ok.... A... Adaaaaaarsh [close but fine]
  • Shikhaaaaaaaar [not your fault buddy]
  • A.. ok I'll spell out the first name ... A...d...a....r....s...h [ya... tht's me :)]
I am on my way to become Adaaaaaaarsh Shikhaaaaaar.
The study train is gaining speed. I hope I match up to it.

c ya

13 comments:

~Nayan~ said...

hilarious one
this reminds me of our algebra teacher during JEE preparation days:

Rai sir naam tha unka, aurjanab infi tutlate the:
ek baar unhone saamne bethe kuch bacho ko bola
" kya jee ! home work nahin kiya , kal kya kitkitkit khel rahe the"

for two minutes I was blank.

then I realized he meant 'Cricket khel rahe the '

and dont worry about the name. Amru junta is quite good in distorting indian names :D

Lady Godiva said...

And how do they pronounce Daroga??? is it Dharrrr-Hoga????

Daroga said...

@ Nayan
the kitkit thing was too much :P
ab to US ki aadat padne lagi hai... dekho ... kya hota hai apna :D

@ Godiva
well.... ek naam lene mien hi unko itni fight ho jaati hai... itni jaldi agar 2nd name denge to baat karna hi chhor denge :)))))
abhi US aur 'Daroga' ki mulaqat nahin hui hai :P

Still Searching said...

Haha! So u finally came across the name distortion event, which is essential to any Indian's experience in the US! :)) Oh yeah, one has to really put on an accent some times to make them understand! Welcome to Amreeka Adaaaarsh!

Daroga said...

ya.... Welcome to Amreeka.... thoo meeeee :P

Zee said...

hahahahaha!!! that was funny!!!!
better than my stint in bhubaneswar where they called me "jhee"!!!

Daroga said...

@ Zee
they called you 'jhee' !!! tht means Zee is your name (or a part of it) !!. I always thought its your nickname :)

Akshay said...

this is still better than "Akkhoy"! Yo Bengal!

Daroga said...

@ Akshay
he he.... haan.. I was fortunately spared by Bengal :P
Joi Baanglaaa :)

Di said...

it was even better wen we had a temporary french teacher who was an actual french guy.i dont remember much..only that everyone closed their years before he called out their names during attendance coz they cudnt bear to listen to him murder their names :P

Daroga said...

@ Di
he he... you guys were exposed to this pretty early then :)

Anonymous said...

haha ..hilarious...i despise those persons in USA pretty much for the same reason...they dont know how to speak gud english.

Daroga said...

@ Decipher
abe despise karne ki kya zaroorat hai... they speak differently.. tht's it