Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Ad-ded

Had my first mid-sems outside India, and though I managed to convince myself to believe that they went well, after getting the marks of one of the papers, I seriously doubt that now. But nevermind, I have a habit of screwing up exams. So this is another feather in my i-know-how-to-screw-exams hat.
Average scores did matter in India also, but continuous occurrence of this not-so-auspicious event may lead to me getting kicked back from US, which I definitely NOT want. So, I better increase the performance efficiency of my grey cells. My grey cells, By the way, have a tedency to play hide-n-seek with me and they somehow manage to excel in the 'hide' aspect during the exams. Anyways, it is between me and them. You don't need to worry.
What you do need to do is ...... watch this.

I just had one word for it: BRILLIANT.
I have tremendous respect for the (good) ad-makers. They manage to convey so much in so less time that one has to simply say... HATS OFF. And though I haven't watched many American, or for that matter many non-Indian, commercials, I have a feeling that when it comes to making ads, no one can beat Indian ads. Not that every Indian ad is good, but when an Indian ad is good, it is the BEST. The western ads can at best be whacky, corny, and the likes but I don't think they match the humor of our ads.
Talking of ads, did you know:
  • The man behind the exceptionally briliant ads of 'Happydent White chewing gum' is none other than the lyricist of Rang De Basanti, Mr. Prasoon Joshi. Take a look:
  • The singer in the Pepsi ad with Sachin Tendulkar and a bunch of kids in a desert, with lines going somewhat as:
Umad ghumad kar jiyara garje,
Dil ye bole, jhoom ke dole, taare choo le.
Arre pyaas badhi hai aaj to bhar le
Khol ke bandhan, tod ke taale ,
Ye dil maange mooooooore.

is the one and only ... apna Mungeri laal, Raghuvir Yadav.
  • The man who says "Fevicol aisa jod lagaye, acche se accha na tod paaye" in the famous Fevicol ad with an elephant and people doing tug-of-war to break a piece glued by Fevicol (the one with Zor laga ke haisha) is Rajkumar Hirani... yes .. the man who gave us Munnabhai.

  • The sardarji pilot who is seen at the end of the 1999 World Cup Cricket Pepsi ad with Sachin Tendulkar, Shane Warne and Brian Lara is Prahlad Kakkar, the creator of the ad and the greatest adman in India.
Jai Ho all the great Ad-makers.
c ya

10 comments:

Zee said...

yes the happydent ad was amazing
and fevicol ads are always great.......even the fevi something ad about dripping roofs

Daroga said...

@ Zee
yep... the M-seal ads :)
BTW... U still haven't got the final mssg in my last post ??

Zee said...

no i havent

Daroga said...

@ Zee
now that it's past the moment... here's the final mssg:
a h s t e d t t y e a u w t n r r e h o s n n r w
when you arrange it a 5X5 matrix across you get
a h s t e
d t t y e
a u w t n
r r e h o
s n n r w
and when you read it downwards.. the mssg appears :
adarsh turns twenty three now

Thanks :)

Anu Sharma said...

right, indian ads most of d times follow an extreme case.either dey r bulshit or amzing,best i mean as u said.remember surf excel ad whr thr bro starts beating the mud whn her lil sis happens to fall in dat mud.i just lovd it !

Daroga said...

@ Anu
THAT Ad is one of the all time best. I don't know how I missed it to mentioned it.
It was a million times more than SUPERB.
:)

Still Searching said...

Wow that first ad was awesome!!! I mean it was just brilliant!! I was wondering what the ad was for, and was truly amazed! Indian ads are really good.. I've seen many many American ads, and though some are good, many of them are just so plain boring... I think indian ads are driven by the fact that the Indian people are emotional and are convinced by ads that appeal to their senses, whereas Americans are more likely to respond to ads that appeal to their logic and rational..

Glad to see Happydent managed to get away from the cows... :)

Daroga said...

@ SS
Americans emotional kyun nahin hote hain :P
and yes.. those cow ads of happydent rally irritated me

♪♪Happy Go Lucky♪♪ said...

heya nice blog u got here... n amazin writing...
btw chk out my blog too .. m new here

Daroga said...

@ Cloud
thanks :)
keep visiting :)