Saturday, November 25, 2006

I believe....

Yesterday(in chronological order)…..

Exams got over .
Got rejected by Company 1.
A friend back in school days called after 7 years.
Got rejected by Company 2.

main roun ya hansoon……karoon main kya karoon

Neways…. Let me tell you all a little incident. I was filling up the form for a company few hours before my exam in the department.

a Adarsh Shekhar…

He sounded like my batchmate…. So I didn’t bother to look up and almost blurted out “bol” but then settled with a “hmmmm

You don’t have exams today?

Why is he asking that?? I looked up and…… to my utter surprise …. He was my Supervisor.

Moral of the story: EYE-BELIEVE.

Talking about beliefs….. all of us believe in one thing or the other. In lay-man’s vocabulary… Superstitions. More often than not there aren’t any reason but yes….. people do believe…. Some feebly….some very strongly (jai (k)ekta maiyya ki)

I am also one of them…… gradually shifted from the strong domain to the weak one.

Over the years…. I have had many superstitions. But ‘due to unavoidable circumstances’, I had to let go of them sometimes. Let me recall some of them….

  1. I don’t shave during exams. The latest exception was on my 22nd Birthday (Birthday tha yaar…..). I think this harms me a great deal. When everything goes fine, enter the bloody exams….. I appear (accidentally or not) before my probable GFs in my jhingalala avatar and then…. FULL STOP.
  2. I give all my exams in the same set of clothes. [All my exams == all papers of a particular mid-sem or end-sem.] I have a particular set of formals… in which I have given my 2nd JEE, GRE, TOEFL…. a mid-sem /end-sem sandwiched in between.
  3. I used to do a mini-puja , with agarbatti and all, before exams till my second year at IIT. This is not exactly a superstition but I used to start the sequence of bath-puja-dress-lunch-exam at approximately the same clock-hour before each paper. I still follow the same sans the puja.
  4. Apart from exams, the other thing in which I followed some superstitions was CRICKET + TEAM INDIA. [The recent run of Team India is responsible for the previous sentence being in the past tense]. Here also my superstitions were restricted more or less to my dress. During the World Cup 2003, I changed my dress after India lost to Australia in the league (actually I didn’t mind changing my dress after that match) and watched all the remaining matches of my team in the same dress. It worked you see….. India won 8 consecutive matches except the Final. ( I never claimed that superstitions always work :P ) That was my contribution to Team India’s campaign in the World Cup.

In the late 90s this belief of mine was stronger. I remember sitting in the same posture till India won in a match in 1998 (I can give you the details but all of you would not connect to it).

Another instance that I remember is when Australia toured India… 1996 or 1998… I don’t remember now. I watched the first match (that India won) in a pink half-shirt. On the day of the next match, my mom forced me to have a hair-cut and she was prepared to wash that shirt too. I tried hard … but you know how moms are. I had to go. But I couldn’t let my team lose just like that. So I returned from mid-way and told mom that some dogs chased me and I couldn’t go further.I couldn’t save the shirt from being washed but yes… I managed to save some luck for my team by not cutting my hair. I was a good fan … you see.


So these are some of the few superstitions that I follow(ed). And I, hereby, TAG all of you to share some (I won’t mind All) of your superstitions…..hee-haa-haa-haa.
Okay….its on your wish but Godiva, Darsh and Cardamom are officially Tagged.

I am waiting……
C ya

6 comments:

Garam Bheja Fry said...

hmmm...nicely done yaar..

humne bhi india ke jeetne ke liye bahut paapad bele hai...

Btw best of luck for the plcmnt season...will try to honour your atg pretty soon...chal ab chalta hu..aur haa kahee tere paas blog par post likhne ke liye bhi to alag shirt nahee hai :P

Daroga said...

@ Cardamom
nahin yaar.... blog likhne k liye koi special shirt nahin hai :P
wo kya hai.... ki blog likhne ka koi time fix to nahin hota naa..... isliye ... :D

Lady Godiva said...

Sahi hai... tumhare exam wale superstitions to nahi pata the. All the best for the placement.

Tag has been honoured Daroga Jee.... will finish it soon... abhi to exam dene jaa rahi hoon... wish me luck.

Daroga said...

@ Godiva
All the best.... phod-phaad machaa k aana exam mein.
and rahi baat placements ki... to dekhte hain... :)

Bebo said...

Oh so you looking out for placements? Tough na? I mean its all new to me-I mean you get me na? I meant the placements. You got me right?

Superstitions-same shirt-same position til the match is over...hehe...dogs chasing...oh what a sweet-silly-yet-believable idea...Esp in your case. Ok! I was kidding now. Will try to complete the tag ASAP.

Daroga said...

@ Sh D
ya ...placements are tough..... specially for an average guy like me. I know...people say.... "come on.. u r in IIT for GOD's sake...getting a job shudn't be tough for you"... but the fact is.... there's life beyond entering IIT. You have to excel here also to be assured of a good job ( I agree that the definition of a 'good job' differs from an IITian to a non-IITian). And since I did not excel here... so for me its tough. But I am not bothered coz JOB is the worst case scenario for me. SO... dekhte hain.... kya hota hai.
and regarding the Superstitions... I luv following them :)